Tuesday 28 February 2017

Black and White Photographs/Model - Remembering the Past



The top two photographs are of my mother exploring her attic and looking through her past memorabilia. I used a high contrast, monochrome format in order to focus on the ideas of light and darkness, thus portraying the feeling of searching through past memories - shining a light on the obscurity of the past.

I then decided to consider how these images could be exhibited and shown to other people. I've always felt that the way art is exhibited and organised in a space is central to the effectiveness of artistic expression. Because the past is something that often feels distant and obfuscated by the passing of time, I created a gallery experience (bottom photo) that insinuated the ideas of darkness and shadow. I built a micro-model of a room, hung up mini images of the photos I took in the attic, and then shone light on certain parts to demonstrate this idea of distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment